West Hall WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY567678

By GW Oxley

West Hall WM chapel was built of stone in 1835 at a cost of £80. It was re-pewed in 1874. There were 73 sittings in 1873 and by 1940 there were 120 all in pews, reduced to 100 by 1980. There were no rooms besides the chapel which was still in use as a place of worship in 1991. It had closed and was in residential use by 2016.

Sources

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle  DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle  DFCM/11/32

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle  DFCM/11/53

Site visit, 7th February 2016

Photo:West Hall WM Chapel, from west,  7.2.2016

West Hall WM Chapel, from west, 7.2.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:West Hall WM Chapel, date plaque, 7.2.2016

West Hall WM Chapel, date plaque, 7.2.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:West Hall WM Chapel, from south,  7.2.2016

West Hall WM Chapel, from south, 7.2.2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 09/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.