Welton WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY352444

By GW Oxley

Photo:Welton WM Chapel from south, 30.4.2016

Welton WM Chapel from south, 30.4.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Welton WM Chapel from north, 30.4.2016

Welton WM Chapel from north, 30.4.2016

G W Oxley

Welton Chapel was opened on 9 September 1836. It was built of stone, with a slate roof at a cost of £96. It measured 35 feet by 20 feet. There were 80 sittings in 1873.In 1911 it had 73 sittings and the same number, all in pews, in 1940. (Wesleyan seating returns, 1873) In 1877 it was reported that there was no society or congregation at Welton and that the chapel was shut up. In 1940 the chapel had 156 sittings in pews and there was one other room. The sittings had fallen to 52 by 1980 and the chapel was closed by 1991. It is now in residential use.

Sources

Carlisle Journal 15.10.1836

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/20 circuit amalgamation papers, 1940

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 30.4.2016

This page was added by GW Oxley on 03/05/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.