Thornhill, The Crescent WM Chapel, Cumberland, CA22 2ST

Grid ref NY011088

By GW Oxley

The district minutes report that the construction of a new chapel was approved in 1927-8 and that it was completed at a cost of £2315.15.20 in 1928-9. In 1940 it had 150 sittings on forms. There one other room. A wooden building costing £3044 was erected for use as a schoolroom in 1965-7. Dry rot repairs costing £497 were carried out in 1967-8. In 1980 there were 100 sittings in the chapel and nine other rooms and in 1991 100 sittings and three other rooms.The chapel has since been closed and demolished. Houses stand on the site and only the street name served to mark the existence of the chapel.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM2/40

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1920-32

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1920-32

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 6.10.2017

Photo:Thornhill WM Chapel, street name and modern housing on the site, 6.10.2017

Thornhill WM Chapel, street name and modern housing on the site, 6.10.2017

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 16/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.