Lerwick, Hillhead, Adam Clarke Wesleyan Chapel

By GW Oxley

The Adam Clarke Methodist Chapel was designed by William Parslow and erected in 1870-2. It had 500 sittings in 1873. These had been reduced to 415 by 1940 when there was a schoolroom and three other rooms. It continues to be used as a Methodist place of worship

Sources

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Methodist statistical returns, 1940

John Gifford, The Buildings of Scotland, Highlands and Islands, p 486

Site visit 24 May 2017

 

Photo:Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, facade

Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, facade

G W Oxley

Photo:Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, from north

Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, from north

G W Oxley

Photo:Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, from south

Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, from south

G W Oxley

Photo:Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, from west

Lerwick Methodist Chapel, 24 May 2017, from west

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 30/05/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.