Lazonby, Main Street, WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY547396

By GW Oxley

Photo:Lazonby WM Chapel, generral view from west, 24.02.2018

Lazonby WM Chapel, generral view from west, 24.02.2018

G W Oxley

The Chapel was built in 1850 at a cost of £212. In 1928-9 the erection of a boiler house costing £110 was approved. In 1851 it had 58 free and 74 other sittings. In 1873 it had 104 sittings. In 1940 the chapel had 120 sittings on pews, reduced to 96 by 1980. There was a schoolroom and no other rooms. It is now in residential use.

Sources

The National Archives HO129/565/3/8Ecclesiastical Census

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 24.02.2018

Photo:Lazonby WM Chapel, generral view from south, 24.02.2018

Lazonby WM Chapel, generral view from south, 24.02.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Lazonby WM Chapel, date plaque, 24.02.2018

Lazonby WM Chapel, date plaque, 24.02.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Lazonby WM Chapel, notice board, 24.02.2018

Lazonby WM Chapel, notice board, 24.02.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Lazonby WM Chapel, front gable

Lazonby WM Chapel, front gable

This page was added by GW Oxley on 06/06/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.