Kendal, Westmorland, Wesleyan Chapels

By GW Oxley

1 The Old Playhouse in ….

This building was purchased for £89 on 13 February ….. There is an image in Bryer, p.2

 

2 The Fold in Stricklandgate

This was an existing building which seated 300. It was closed when the The Stricklandgate/Burnside road Chapel opened and demolished in 1899. There is an image in Bryer, p.2

 

3 Stricklandgate/Burnside road WM Chapel (i)

Grid Ref SD514913

This Chapel was erected in 1808 at a cost of £2280. It was designed by a local man, John Richardson and opened on 30th October 1808. It seated 400. In 1851 there were  276 free and 340 sittings and  ……. In 1873. In 1852 the choir gallery was altered and the vestry enlarged and the building underwent substantial improvement in 1873. By 1881 the building was generally in a poor condition and larger prmises were needed to accommodate the 198 members and 400 hearers. It was demolished to make way for the  new chapel c.1882. There is an image in Bryer, p.4

 

4 Kendal, Sticklandgate WM Chapel (ii), Westmorland

Grid Ref SD514913

Kendal  Sticklandgate Chapel (ii) was erected on the site of its predecessor. It was designed by Mr Ranger of London and cost £2530. There was seating for 818. Bourkill Bros. were the masons, Fisher & Handley the joiners, Thomas Hind the painter and decorator, Lawrence Airey was the  heating engineer and plumber, and Steele & Co the plasterers. All the contractors were from Kendal. The dressed stone came from quarries at Prudhoe. The foundation stone was laid on 13th April 1882 and the chapel was opened on 29th March 1883. Initially the organ from the old chapel was used but a new instrument was installed in 1924 In 1940 were 792 sittings in pews and there was also two schoolrooms and seven other rooms. It was in use as a Methodist place of worship in 2016

Sources:

The National Archives HO129/575/4/17 1851 census of religious worship

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Cumbria Archives Service , Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle District property schedules,  1862-1877;

Cumbria Archives Service , Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service , Kendal  WDFCM1/6/4  seating returns 1891

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Carlisle Library, IC9 KEN 287 Bryer, T Percy, A History of Methodism in Kendal, Kirby Lonsdale and Sedbergh, 1987

Site visit 16 April 2016

 

Photo:Wesleyan Chapel, Stricklandgate, Kendal, 13.04.2014

Wesleyan Chapel, Stricklandgate, Kendal, 13.04.2014

G W Oxley

Photo:Wesleyan Chapel, Stricklandgate, Kendal, 13.04.2014

Wesleyan Chapel, Stricklandgate, Kendal, 13.04.2014

GW Oxley

Photo:Kendal Striclklandgate WM Chapel, date plaque, 16 April 2016

Kendal Striclklandgate WM Chapel, date plaque, 16 April 2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Wesleyan Chapel, Stricklandgate, Kendal, plaque, 13.04.2014

Wesleyan Chapel, Stricklandgate, Kendal, plaque, 13.04.2014

GW Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 14/04/2014.