Hutton End WM Chapels, Cumberland

Grid ref NY449386

By GW Oxley

The first Hutton End Chapel was built in 1841 at a cost of £100. A block plan of  the premises (?c. 1860s) shows the chapel measuring 25 feet by 22 feet entered through a porch in the longer side which stood in an enclosed yard measuring 25 feet by eight feet and four inches. In 1851 it had 12 pews of free sittings and two others. By 1873 it had 80 sittings.  There is a plaque over the porch door, now covered by the current name plate, which probably showed the name and date of the chapel. An extension in the form of a new chapel north of the existing building was opened on 29 April 1885. The designer has not been identified but the main contractors were William Weedy of Hutton Row, builder, Thomas Bell of Penrith, joiner, and James Bailey of Penrith, slater. A note on the specification states that the stone was to be from the Hardrigg Quarry.  An American organ was bought from William Lea of Church Street, Liverpool for £21.7.0. The internal dimensions of the  chapel were 31 feet by 23 feet and there was seating for 120. In 1940 the chapel had 100 sittings in  pews and there was one other room. It had been closed by 1980 and is now used as the village hall. (TNA HO129/565.2.1.2; Wesleyan seating returns, 1873; Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM/1/2/82-97, DFCM3/1/43-62; DFCM3/1/126; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980; site visit 12.07.2015)

Photo:Hutton End WM Chapel from the south east, 12.07.2015

Hutton End WM Chapel from the south east, 12.07.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Hutton End WM Chapel from the north 12.07.2015

Hutton End WM Chapel from the north 12.07.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Hutton End WM Chapel fron the south east, detail of entrances, 12.07.2015

Hutton End WM Chapel fron the south east, detail of entrances, 12.07.2015

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 20/07/2015.