Hawkshead, Flagg Street WM Chapel, Westmorland

Grid ref SD363983

By GW Oxley

Hawkshead, Flagg Street Chapel was built and donated to trustees by Elizabeth Cooke (1823-66). It was not Methodist at first and in 1912 it was known a the Union Chapel. It probably became attached to the Wesleyans in 1924. In 1940 the Chapel had 60 sittings on forms and there were no other rooms. The interior contains two blocks of forms and there is a small gallery at the back. There are two memorial windows containing portraits of their subjects. One is “In memory of Elizabeth wife of Henry Cooke, 1823-1866, who gave this mission” and the other is “In memory of A Elizabeth, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Cooke, 1866-1916”. Apart from its entrance the chapel is hidden among other buildings but being in a tourist hotspot it is open to visitors and contains a number if interesting displays.

Sources

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Photograph of the trustees in 1912 displayed in the chapel

Site visit, 12.4.2016

Photo:Hawshead WM Chapel, entrance, 12 April 2016

Hawshead WM Chapel, entrance, 12 April 2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Hawshead WM Chapel, side view, 12 April 2016

Hawshead WM Chapel, side view, 12 April 2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 22/04/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.