Harrington, Victoria Square WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NX991254

By GW Oxley

The Chapel, school and house were built of stone at a cost of £1700 and opened on 2 May 1885. In 1891 and 1900 there were 180 lettable sittings, 40 - 50 free and 60 reserved for children. In 1940 there were 280 sittings on forms. There was a schoolroom and two other rooms. 
The chapel was closed in June 1950 after a merger and was reported as being up for sale in 1952. It is now in residential use.
(Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13, DFCM3/1/43 - 62; Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM1/1/33-6; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Harrington Methodist Church Centenary History and Handbook, Methodist Property Statistics 1940; site visit 13.5.2015 )

Photo:Harrington, Victoria Square WM Chapel, front elevation, 13.5.2015

Harrington, Victoria Square WM Chapel, front elevation, 13.5.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Harrington, Victoria Square WM Chapel, side elevation, 13.5.2015

Harrington, Victoria Square WM Chapel, side elevation, 13.5.2015

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 17/05/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.