Greysouthern WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY072295

By GW Oxley

There was a Wesleyan society here by 1822.A Chapel was built in 1833 at a cost of £161.The date plaque reads “Wesleyan/Methodist Chapel/Built AD 1833”  In 1851 the chapel provided 120 free and 44 other sittings. In 1873 there were 154 sittings. The chapel was extended in 1893. In 1940 the chapel had seating for 136 in pews and there were no other rooms. The chapel was closed between 1940 and 1980. It is now in residential use.

Sources

Griffin, EW, Watchers of a Beacon: The Story of the Keswick and Cockermouth Methodist Circuit

The National Archives HO129/570/4/5  1851 census of religious worship

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle Wesleyan District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle Wesleyan District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM6/1/40-2

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873)

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980

Site visit 30.9.2017

 

Photo:Greysouthern, WM chapel,, 30.9.2017

Greysouthern, WM chapel,, 30.9.2017

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 02/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.