Grasmere WM Chapel, Westmorland

Grid ref NY337076

By GW Oxley

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Grasmere WM Chapel, Westmorland' page
Photo:Nave from South , 8 July 2017

Nave from South , 8 July 2017

Photo:Transept, 8 July 2017

Transept, 8 July 2017

The foundation stone for Grasmere WM Chapel was laid in June 1873 and the chapel opened on 4th June 1874. The site had been purchased by Mr WT Welpton of London for £42.12.0d. He also gave £50 to the building fund. A clock was given to the architect who had given his services gratis, The building cost £500. In 1940 the chapel had 150 sittings in pews and there was a schoolroom. By 1980 the number of sittings had been reduced to 105. The chapel was subsequently closed and although the building is apparently well maintained its current use is not apparent

Sources:

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service Kendal  WDFCM1/6/4  seating returns 1891

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Grasmere Methodist Church, 1874-1974

Site visit 8.7.2017

This page was added by GW Oxley on 28/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.