Frizington, Main Street WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY035174

By GW Oxley

The Chapel was built of brick in 1883/5. The contractors were Mr Green of Lamplugh (builder), W Tinnion of Lamplugh (joiner), H Burns of Whitehaven (plumber and glazier), and Mr Bainbridge (gas fittings). The exterior walls were “cemented” and had red sandstone dressings. The chapel was opened on 28 May 1884. By 1899 the buildings had cost £2000. In 1940 it had 410 sittings on pews. The school building was on the market in 1970.

In 1980 there were 144 sittings in the chapel and one  other room and in 1991 144  sittings and one other room.

Sources

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43 - 62

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Carlisle Library, 1A287, St John’s Methodist Church, Frizington, Twenty Fifth Anniversary, 1981

NLS 25” OS Cumberland LXVII.8 1899  

This page was added by GW Oxley on 02/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.