Flimby Rye Hill WM Chapel & School , Cumberland

Grid Ref NY 023341

By GW Oxley

Flimby Rye Hill Chapel was built of brick and stone in 1875. In 1901 it was renovated at a cost of £98.15.0.

A Sunday school building was erected opposite the chapel in 1926 for a total cost of £1935.1.10. The  contractors were
G Graham of Workington, builder, £699.8.0;
E McBride of Workington, joiner, £530.1.6;
Sharp Bros of Carlisle, plumbers, £131.3.0;
WV Pratt of Whitehaven, £154.17.17.4;
J Lawson, cement & plasterwork, £108.0.6;
R & R Carrick, painters, £75;
F Walker of Workington, heating, £90;
Darlington Fencing Co, £17.12.0;
WA Parker & Co, gates, £10;
H Oldfield, architect’s fee, £93.1.10.

The chapel was 65½ feet by 35 feet and had 265 sittings in pews and chairs in 1940. The schoolroom was 48½ feet by 28½ feet and there  were four other rooms.

One source states that Ryehill was closed in 1969 another that the last service was held there on 21.3.1971. The service uniting its congregation with Westfield was on 28.3.1971.

In January 2015 the chapel building was possibly occupied as a dwelling. The school had been demolished and replaced by housing.

(Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/20, 236; DFCM/14/13; DFCM1 /2/82-97, DFCM3/1/42-62; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940)

 

Photo:Flimby, Rye Hill Chapel, facade and front extension, 20.09.2014

Flimby, Rye Hill Chapel, facade and front extension, 20.09.2014

GW Oxley

Photo:Flimby, Rye Hill Chapel, south elevation, 20.09.2014

Flimby, Rye Hill Chapel, south elevation, 20.09.2014

GW Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 20/02/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.