Fenton WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY 502561

By GW Oxley

Photo:Fenton WM Chapel, SE elevation, 11.05.2014

Fenton WM Chapel, SE elevation, 11.05.2014

The 1851 returns show that there was already an entire and exclusive place of Methodist worship. The site was originally leased and then purchased in 1858. It was registered as a place of worship on 19th September 1854. The entry relating to capacity is unclear. It indicates that all the seats were free and adds “33 X 22” (Are those figures dimensions in feet?) and “space for 120” The figure is unclear.

Fenton chapel was built of brick in 1852 at a cost of £200. It was given to the connexion by Mrs Taylor and family. There were 107 sittings in 1873. By 1940 there were 123 sittings in the chapel and there was also a schoolroom. In 1961-2 heating costing £186.10.0d was installed. The schoolroom was repaired at a cost of £157 in 1963. The society collapsed in 1975 when one family moved away and the chapel, schoolroom, cottage, and land was sold for £3350 in 1976. The building is now (10.05.2014) used as outhouses in conjunction with an adjacent dwelling.

Sources

The National Archives HO129/566/2/7

Wesleyan Seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940

Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

 DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

DFCM11/32

DFCM11/145 papers relating to the sale of the property, 1954 - 77

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974

Carlisle Library, 1A287, A historical note concerning the Methodist Society at Fenton

Site visit May 2014

Photo:Fenton WM Chapel, genral view, 11.05.2014

Fenton WM Chapel, genral view, 11.05.2014

G W Oxley

Photo:Fenton WM Chapel, NE elevation, 11.05.2014

Fenton WM Chapel, NE elevation, 11.05.2014

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 14/02/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.