Ellenborough/Netherton* WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY044361

By GW Oxley

This chapel was built in 1892 and the Architect was Charles Eaglesfield of Maryport. It stood at the junction of Old Road and James Street with the chapel gable and main entrance facing Old Road.

The chapel itself measured fortythree feet six inches by twentyone feet six inches. It had passages at the front and both sides enclosed by walls and railings.
To the rear was the schoolroom which extended the full width od the site and was lighted by wimdows facing a rear yard.
The front gable had large early English style window above a single storey porch which had a doorway leading to two inner doors at the heads of the aisles which divided up the three blocks of pews.
The pulpit and sanctuary were opposite the entrance.
The chapel was heated by a stove at the rear of one of the side blocks of pews. There was a vestry at the back of one of the outside passages with its own entrance and doorway into the chapel.
At the rear of the other outside passage was a porch giving access to the school room.

It had not been ascertained when this chapel was closed. In September 2014 the site had been cleared and houses were under construction.

No image of the  building has been located

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43; SRDC3/2/33

This page was added by GW Oxley on 31/10/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.