Eastbrook Chapel, Bradford

By David Kenyon

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Eastbrook Chapel, Bradford' page

The Eastbrook Chapel was opened in 1825, after the Kirkgate Chapel was found to be to small for the then congregation.

The people of Bradford were informed of the opening of The Eastbrook Chapel by the following advertisement in the 'Bradford Courier' for September 1st 1825

The advertisement read: 

Wesleyan Methodist New Chapel East-Brook, Bradford

On Friday, the 2nd day of September, 1825 the above Chapel will be opened for Public Worship, the Rev. Adam Clark,LLD.,F.A.S., will preach the morning at ten, the Rev. Wm. Atherton in the afternoon at half-past two, and the Rev. Jabez Bunting,M.A., in the evening at half-past six.  Also on the following Sunday September 4th, the Rev. Dr. Adam Clarke will preach in the morning at Ten O'clock in the old Chapel, Kirkgate; the Rev David Stoner in the morning at Ten in the New Chapel East-brook,  and in the evening at Six in the Old Chapel; the Rev. Theophilus Lessey in the afternoon at Two in the Old Chapel, and in the evening at Six, in the New Chapel; and Mr. Wm. Dawson in the afternoon at Two in the New Chapel. Collections will be made after each sermon in aid of the Erection of the Chapel.

Arrangements will be made for the accommodation of strangers.

Link to page on Eastbrook Hall which replaced the New Chapel.

This page was added by Ann Fox on 26/05/2014.
Comments about this page

The architect was Joseph Botham. Eastbrook Hall, now  closed, was opened on the site in 1903, architect W.J.Morley

By Colin Dews
On 19/02/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.