Distington, Main Street WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY006235

By GW Oxley

Photo:Distington WM Chapel, general view,  24.5.2016

Distington WM Chapel, general view, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Distington WM Chapel, side view,  24.5.2016

Distington WM Chapel, side view, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Distington WM Chapel, entrance and date plaque,  24.5.2016

Distington WM Chapel, entrance and date plaque, 24.5.2016

G W Oxley

The Chapel was built of  stone in 1832 at a cost of £150. In 1851, when there was “a neat stove which keeps the chapel warm and comfortable” and it was lighted in the  winter evenings by candles at the  expence of the members”, there were 100 free and 50 other sittings. There were 150 sittings in 1873.(Wesleyan seating returns, 1873). In 1877 a harmonium was purchased and a new stove was installed. In 1940 it had 150 sittings on pews. In 1980 there were 130 sittings and no other rooms.  It continues in use as a Methodist place of worship.

Sources

The National Archives HO129/171/1 /5 1851 census of religious worship

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DCM2/36-7

 Site visit 24.05.2016

This page was added by GW Oxley on 06/06/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.