Ireby WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY238391

By GW Oxley

Photo:Ireby WM Chapel, gable end, 5.6.20165

Ireby WM Chapel, gable end, 5.6.20165

G W Oxley

Photo:Ireby WM Chapel, side view, 5.6.20165

Ireby WM Chapel, side view, 5.6.20165

G W Oxley

Photo:Ireby WM Chapel, date plaque, 5.6.20165

Ireby WM Chapel, date plaque, 5.6.20165

G W Oxley

Photo:Ireby WM Chapel,notice board, 5.6.20165

Ireby WM Chapel,notice board, 5.6.20165

G W Oxley

Ireby Chapel was built of stone in 1871 at a cost of £208. It measured 40 feet by 26 feet There were 140 sittings in 1873, reduced to 114 by 1911. It had the same number, all on forms, in 1940. The sittings had fallen to 80 in 1980 and the chapel was closed by 1991. It is now used as self-catering accommodation for people with dementia or other disabilities

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM9/9 Seating returns for 1911

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM2/20 circuit amalgamation papers, 1940

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 5th June 2016

This page was added by GW Oxley on 27/06/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.