Dalton in Furness, Beckside/Skegate WM Chapel, Lancashire (now Cumbria)

Grid ref SD233742

By GW Oxley

Photo:Dalston, Beckside WM Chapel, south and west sides, 2.3.20`17

Dalston, Beckside WM Chapel, south and west sides, 2.3.20`17

G W Oxley

Photo:Dalton, Beckside WM Chapel south side, 2.3.20`17

Dalton, Beckside WM Chapel south side, 2.3.20`17

G W Oxley

Beckside WM Chapel was erected in 1823/8 at a cost of £180. It was soon enlarged to accommodate a large influx of miners from Cornwall and the Isle of Man. In 1851 it provided 160 free and 60 other sittings. It probably closed when the new chapel opened in 1865.  It had been sold by 1870. The building is now in residential use.

Sources

The National Archives, HO129/486/4/10

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Carlisle Library, 1A287, JT Franks, Dalton-in-Furness Methodist Church, 1861-1964

Site visit, 23.7.2016

This page was added by GW Oxley on 03/03/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.