Cumwhitton WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY507526

By GW Oxley

In 1851 a private dwelling was being used for services. The chapel was built of stone in 1891 and valued in 1897 at £450. In 1940 it had 130 sittings, all in pews and there was one additional room. The chapel was closed on 1 June 1964 when there had already been no services for ten years and there were no members. It is now in residential use.

Sources

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM11/32-4 Brampton Wesleyan Circuit trust schedules, 1860-78, 1879-98, 1918-37

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940

DFCM14/13 chapel record cards chapel record cards

Site visit 6.3.2016

Photo:Cumwhitton WM Chapel the west, 7.3.2016

Cumwhitton WM Chapel the west, 7.3.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Cumwhitton WM Chapel the east, 7.3.2016

Cumwhitton WM Chapel the east, 7.3.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Cumwhitton WM Chapel, detail of porch and date plaque, 7.3.2016

Cumwhitton WM Chapel, detail of porch and date plaque, 7.3.2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 10/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.