Corby Hill WM Chapel, Cumbria

Grid Ref NY473545

By GW Oxley

 

Corby Hill WM chapel was built of brick in 1852 at a cost of £166. There were 172 sittings in 1873 and 225, all in pews in 1940 when the premises consisted of a chapel and a schoolroom. The sittings had been reduced to 200 by1980 and further reduced to 90 with no other rooms by 1991.  In 1888 £14.7.0d was spent on a harmonium. In 1894 the construction of a new chapel was authorised. The new chapel was built at right angles to the old creating a T shaped building. By 1896 additions and renovations had had raised the value of the property to £450 In 1954-5 repairs costing £196 were carried out. In 1962-3 heating costing £117 was installed.

It was in use as a place of worship in 2014

Sources

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

DFCM/11/32 - 33)

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Corby Hill WM Chapel, Cumbria' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Corby Hill WM Chapel, Cumbria' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Corby Hill WM Chapel, Cumbria' page
This page was added by GW Oxley on 09/03/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.