Cockermouth, Market Place (Church Went) WM Chapel, Cumbria

Grid ref NY121307

By GW Oxley

 

Market Place Chapel was built in 1841 at a cost of £1800. In 1851 it had 300 free and 500 other sittings. In 1873 it had 600 sittings. It was extended in1893. The chapel was closed when Lorton Street was opened in 1932 and sold for £362.2.0 in 1935. (TNA HO129/570/2/10; Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/92-97, DFCM6/1/40-1,  DFCM3/1/43-62; Wesleyan seating returns, 1873; Griffin, EW, Watchers of a Beacon: The Story of the Keswick and Cockermouth Methodist Circuit)

Photo:Cockermouth WM Chapel 09.11.2013

Cockermouth WM Chapel 09.11.2013

G W Oxley

Photo:Ground plan of Cockermouth Market Street WM  Chapel from 0S 1 to 500 Cumberland LIV 4 23 circa 1860i

Ground plan of Cockermouth Market Street WM Chapel from 0S 1 to 500 Cumberland LIV 4 23 circa 1860i

This page was added by GW Oxley on 11/12/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.