Cleator, WM Chapel (1844), Cumberland

Grid ref NY017136

By GW Oxley

The Chapel was built in 1844 at a cost of £154 and enlarged in 1872 at a cost of about £100. In 1851 it had 102 free and 48 other sittings and 260 in total by 1873. By 1899 the buildings had cost £758. The chapel closed c.1940 and the premises were sold for £190 in 1941-2. It was subsequently converted for residential use.

Sources

The National Archives HO129/171/4/3

Wesleyan seating returns, 1873

The National Archives HO129/171/4/3

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/2/82 - 97)

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974 [

NLS 25” OS Cumberland LXVII. 16 1899  

Site visit 23.9.2017

 

Photo:Cleator WM chapel, east side, 23.9.2017

Cleator WM chapel, east side, 23.9.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Cleator WM chapel, facade, 23.9.2017

Cleator WM chapel, facade, 23.9.2017

GW Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 02/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.