Cargo WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY 364592

By GW Oxley

 

In 1851 a school room erected around 1804 was being used. Apparently there was no seating but standing room for about 60. In 1851/2 approval was granted for the construction of a chapel which was opened in 1856/7. It was built of brick and cost of £105. In 1873 it had 160 sittings. In 1940 the chapel had 60 sittings on forms and there was schoolroom. The chapel was closed on 8 November 1968 through failure of the cause and the cost of repairs being too great. It is doubtful whether any of the structure remains standing.

Sources

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1852-1864

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM/1/2/83-97

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, DFCM3/1/43-63

The National Archives HO129/568/4/4 Census of religious worship

Wesleyan seating returns 1873

Site visit 27.09.2015

This page was added by GW Oxley on 05/10/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.