Broughton Moor (Wyndham Row) Wesleyan Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY053334

By GW Oxley

Photo:01 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, general view , 20.09.2014

01 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, general view , 20.09.2014

G W Oxley

Photo:02 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, foundation stone , 20.09.2014

02 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, foundation stone , 20.09.2014

G W Oxley

Photo:03 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, notice board , 20.09.2014

03 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, notice board , 20.09.2014

G W Oxley

Photo:04 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, land beside the  chapel , 20.09.2014

04 Broughton Moor, WM Chapel, land beside the chapel , 20.09.2014

G W Oxley

The first Wesleyan Chapel here stood on the land northwest of the crossroads. Adjacent land fronting onto the road to Seaton was acquired and in 1902 plans were drawn up for the construction of a new chapel. The architects were WG Scott & Co of Workington. Scott also laid the foundation stone.

The chapel was in gothic style and was entered through a porch in the centre of the gable end facing the street. There were early English style windows to either side and a round window in the gable above. Inside the pews were arranged in three blocks with two aisles. The sanctuary and pulpit were opposite the entrance. Behind the chapel was a school room accessed through a separate side porch. The site sloped away from the road facilitating the construction of a semi basement beneath the schoolroom. It contained a heating chamber, coal store, and kitchen. There was also a privy. Both areas were accessed via the passage round the perimeter of the building.(Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle, SRDC3/1//259)

The chapel remained in use as a place of worship in September 2014

This page was added by GW Oxley on 22/10/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.